How to Perform the magic paper tree trick
Take out your wand and get ready to give it a whirl…'cause conjurer Ryan Oakes is going to show you how to make an awesome magic paper tree! All you need is a newspaper, scotch tape and scissors! Sometimes we use materials that require adult supervision... like scissors so make sure you have friends and family around whenever you do magic tricks.
1. Preparation: Cut the newspaper into strips about 12" wide (and the full length of the newspaper). Make about 20-30 strips. Now, take 2-3 strips together and begin to roll them up into a tube, as you near the end, slide more strips into the roll and continue rolling. Continue to add strips until all 30 strips have been rolled into one big tube. The finished tube should be about 2 inches wide (and not rolled too tightly). Tape the last sheet so that the tube will not come undone. Take the scissors and cut four slits in one end of the tube. The slits should be about 6 inches deep (assuming the tube is 12" long). Make them evenly dispersed around the top of the tube. Please the cut tube into a paper shopping bag (make sure the bag is larger than the tube so it cannot be seen). Place an additional sheet of newspaper in the bag (folded if needed).
2. Performance: Introduce the bag and tell your audience it is a paper recycling plant. Explain that you will demonstrate how paper is recycled to save trees.
3. Remove the sheet from the bag and begin to tear it into pieces. Tell them that this is the first step of recycling, to break down used paper into pulp again.
4. Wave your hand over the bag and again explain that you have there a Paper Recycling "Plant". Tell them you'll prove it now.
5. Reach into the bag and quickly fold bag the four flaps of the tube (these were created by the slits).
6. Put your fingers inside the tube and lightly pull on the innermost sheet. The paper will come out easily, sort of like a telescope. USE your other hand to hold the bottom of the tube steady in the bag.
7. If t