How to Perform a ring escape magic trick
Have you ever wanted to have the power to make things disappear? Ryan Oakes is going to show you how to obtain that power with this trick. You will need a cloth handkerchief, a shoelace, and three to four key rings. Sometimes we use materials that require adult supervision... like scissors so make sure you have friends and family around whenever you do magic tricks.
1. To prepare, find three key rings that are all the same size. They can be finger rings as well so long as they're all solid and the same size.
2. Pinch a loop in the middle of your shoelace and thread it through one of the key rings. Take your thumb and index finger, put them up through the loop from the bottom, grab the ring, and pull it through to tighten the loop into a knot around it. Contrary to what you'll make the audience believe, you will actually untie this knot without using the ends of the lace.
3. To perform the trick, reveal the knot to your audience. Let the ring hang in the knot and pull on the ends of the lace to show that the ring is secured in it.
4. Take your additional rings and feed the ends of the shoelace though them.
5. Have an assistant from the audience hold the shoelace by ends with all of the rings hanging from it in the middle. Make sure he or she holds it so that the loop of the knot in the middle is facing you and that there is enough slack to work the knot.
6. Cover the rings in the middle of the lace with a handkerchief so no one can you untying the knot.
7. All you have to do with the lace is pull the loop loose in the knot, widen it, and drop it over the ring to free it. Make sure you practice this beforehand so you can perform the trick under the handkerchief. Count to three as you work the knot and let the rings drop into your hand. Pull your hands out from under the handkerchief to reveal the free rings and whisk away the handkerchief to show that the knot is undone. The audience will think they've magically escaped the shoelace!